Reminders

We have P.E. on Monday's, Wednesday's, Thursday's and Friday's. Please make sure to send in proper gym shoes on those days.


Please check this blog at least once a week to stay updated on classroom happenings.


Thank you,

Michael Hagen

Monday, April 20, 2015

Lock Down Drill Today

We had our last lock down drill of the year today.  I know I said it was supposed to be on Friday, but looks like I got that confused with a fire drill.

The lock down went well and the class did a great job.  Today we practiced what we would do if we needed to leave the building.  This included us running out the back door and all the way up to the large field adjacent to the building.  We talked about how this would allow us to see if anyone was coming and possibly move towards a business on Ellsworth road if necessary.  After we came back to the classroom for a debrief I got a lot of "what if" questions from the kids.  I summarized these by basically stating that a lock down drill is all about putting as many barriers between the "bad person" and us as possible.  This may include desks and chairs in front of the door, or us running to the field.  I explained that the more barriers we have between us and the "bad person" allows additional time for the authorities to arrive and solve the problem.  I think the class did well, but please talk with them about this event and the need for it in the building.  If you have any questions, comments or concerns please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment