Reminders

We have P.E. on Monday's, Wednesday's, Thursday's and Friday's. Please make sure to send in proper gym shoes on those days.


Please check this blog at least once a week to stay updated on classroom happenings.


Thank you,

Michael Hagen

Friday, April 3, 2015

Weekly Wrap-Up



It was a short week on the eve of this Spring Break, however that does not mean we did not get a whole lot done. I want to say how far this class has come in these past 130 days. This is truly a special group of kids that I have enjoyed immensely as we have all experienced this first grade adventure. When we return from Spring Break that will mark the final push to the end of the year. I have very mixed emotions about this and am honestly choosing not to think too much about it for fear of my emotions getting the better of me. I will say that I cannot wait to tackle those remaining 50 days. As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me.

Now let us see what we were up to this shortened week…

ON. TO. THE. HIGHLIGHTS!!!



Math:

In math this week we tackled more attribute work. In addition we also spent a lot of time with the What’s My Rule? routine. You may remember this from kindergarten, but we are taking it a bit further in first grade. The kids worked on this Wednesday and Thursday. While I was hoping to tackle an open response problem this week, the two-day nature of the lesson relegated it to when we return from break.



Writing:

We spent a bit of time with revision this week, but the bulk of our writing time was spent recording facts about either South Korea or tigers. We will be working on these two subjects leading up to the International Festival in late April. Our research included our weekly time in the computer lab. The kids accessed World Book and recorded several facts about South Korea. I was thrilled with how well they did in reading and identifying pertinent facts. The tiger research is because that animal happens to be the national animal of South Korea. I thought it would be a nice addition to the work we are already undertaking about South Korea. If you would like to help with these research topics please drop me a line.



Social Studies:

n social studies this week we started a new unit dealing with family traditions. This will dovetail nicely into our International Festival work as well. I sent home some homework for you this week asking for details about some of the family traditions you celebrate at home. Thank you to everyone who sent that homework back and if you need another copy please do not hesitate to let me know.



This week also saw us tackle a lot of phonics practice, spelling practice and a lot of work on research projects. All in all it was a great week. Have a fabulous and safe break everyone and I look forward to seeing you all back next Monday….until next time….all told.

No comments:

Post a Comment