Reminders

We have P.E. on Monday's, Wednesday's, Thursday's and Friday's. Please make sure to send in proper gym shoes on those days.


Please check this blog at least once a week to stay updated on classroom happenings.


Thank you,

Michael Hagen

Friday, February 6, 2015

Weekly Wrap-Up

What a brief week it was here aboard the S.S. First Grade. We had another impromptu vacation, which took away quite a bit of our week. We also had a field trip today, which was chilly, but a lot of fun! Thank you to Megan and Dana for volunteering to come along. We could not have done it without you!

I want to take a brief minute to apologize to all of you who check my blog regularly. It was brought to my attention yesterday (thank you so much, Joe) that I had not updated my blog since January 23rd. Unfortunately I was making my regular posts about spelling words, weekly wrap-ups and permission slips on the WRONG BLOG! I cannot believe this mistake on my part. I took time last night to delete the draft blog I was posting to these past weeks and this problem will definitely not happen again, I assure you. In the event you are not hearing from me on a regular basis please drop me a line. I always try to answer my emails promptly. I apologize again for this mistake on my part. If that mistake wasn't enough I also made the worst possible typo in my Kensington Reminder post yesterday. My deepest apologies for this typo on my part. In my zeal to get that information up that typo slipped through. It has since been corrected.

Enough of Mr Hagen’s goof ups…onto the highlights!

Math:

We began work in our new math journals this week. You may have noticed the old ones being sent home on Wednesday. This week saw us tackle the elusive target of time. We were able to make hour hand clocks to practice telling time. Unfortunately with the snow days and the field trip on Friday this was all we were able to cover this week. I look forward to next week when we will have more time to cover additional concepts before the break.

Phonics:

In phonics this week we talked a lot of suffixes. The kids practiced putting -s and -ing onto words to help a sentence make sense. We also did some brief work with contractions, long vowels and finally their, there and they’re distinctions. I love explaining that concept to first graders. They give me this inquisitive look that says, “You have GOT to be kidding me, Mr. Hagen?”

Science:

We were finally able to catch-up with our weather recordings this week in science. Our goldfish and snails arrived as well. These wonderful creatures are staying in a tank in Ms. Lim’s room. We will plan on using some of our fabulous technology to help observe and document these living things.

Writing:

We are continuing our work on our February writing goals. We took time this afternoon to write about our experiences at Kensington. It was fantastic.


It was a short week that was filled with adventures (Kensington), mistakes (Mr. Hagen) and a whole lot of fun. Until next week….all told.

No comments:

Post a Comment