Reminders

We have P.E. on Monday's, Wednesday's, Thursday's and Friday's. Please make sure to send in proper gym shoes on those days.


Please check this blog at least once a week to stay updated on classroom happenings.


Thank you,

Michael Hagen

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Weekly Wrap-Up (Posted by mistake on different blog)



What a great week it was here in first grade! We were able to get outside a bit more often, we were able to use our new iPads, and we were able to write some new goals for February. I mean great, great stuff! Also, we had a fabulous parent volunteer for centers today, so thank you again Dana! We loved having you in the classroom. Everyone is always welcome in my room, so if you would like to volunteer please let me know. Just a quick reminder that we have our Kensington field trip a week from today, so please make sure to send in those permission slips. I am also still looking for some chaperones if you are interested. I have been assured that this is a fantastic field trip. Before we get to the highlights I also wanted to let you know we will be having a Valentine’s Day party on February 13th. Ruth Hamstra is going to be setting up some fantastic centers and we will of course put an academic spin on everything! Thank you again Ruth for your help!!! That takes care of the housekeeping issues, so ONTO THE HIGHLIGHTS!!!


Math:

In math this week we tackled our weekly progress check for unit five. I was quite pleased to see the progress the class has made with unit five concepts. We also got to play several games on Friday which was great. What is next on the docket? Why that would be a journey into the fabulous world of unit six… Ahh, you can just taste the excitement and anticipation!!!


Writing:

We spent some time this week editing our work. I also tied this to a goal writing exercise for February. I had the class look over their writing and decide on a goal for themselves to accomplish over the month of February. I will be sending home writing and copies of these goals for our upcoming mid-winter break. It is my plan to write monthly goals for writing throughout the remainder of the year. Writing is an area I would like to see the entire class take a step forward with, so I am excited to see how these goals work. If you have any questions about this process please let me know.

Phonics:

In phonics this week we focused on several concepts. The kids got to work more with contractions, which went well. We also practiced our long and short vowel as well. These concepts were complemented by our continuing work with consonant clusters.


Science:

In science this week we continued our endeavor to record weather. We received our snails for an upcoming unit as well. These snails will be going into a shared tank in Ms. Lim’s classroom. I cannot wait to see the science we can get into with these snails.


Thus ends the highlight portion of this post. Until next week….all told.

No comments:

Post a Comment