Reminders

We have P.E. on Monday's, Wednesday's, Thursday's and Friday's. Please make sure to send in proper gym shoes on those days.


Please check this blog at least once a week to stay updated on classroom happenings.


Thank you,

Michael Hagen

Friday, November 21, 2014

Weekly Wrap-up



What a fast-paced, jam-packed week leading up to report cards going home on Monday. Obviously with report cards going home on Monday, the name of the game this week has been assessment. I have been really pleased with how the class has done with all of this. In fact, I have decided that I would like to celebrate everything the class has done during the first leg of their first grade adventure. So, on Tuesday we will be having a pizza party during lunch to celebrate. I also am planning on screening the Lego Movie for the class. During the movie we will be filling out several graphic organizers related to the movie. Graphic organizers are a big push in first grade and I think this will be a nice way of hitting several birds with the same Lego brick…


I will be providing the pizza for the class. I will need plates, napkins, cups and bottled water and or juice for the kids. If you would like to send in any of these items please let me know. I am sorry for the late notice on this, but as I was reflecting on all the work the class has done and how well they have put up with me, I think they need it. I look forward to hearing from you and now onto the highlights!!!



Math:

We spent a lot of time with measuring this week. This measuring was done primarily with nonstandard units of measurement, i.e. base-ten cubes, paperclips, pencils, etc. We then used what we had learned to solve an open-response problem on Friday.



Phonics:

I have used the consonant cluster topic to springboard into learning more ending sounds this week. The class had a lot of opportunities throughout the week to practice sorting, writing and reading words with similar patterns. They did a great job with this.



Science:

In science this week we learned more about water and its many forms. Tuesday saw us running a very interesting experiment on condensation. I also introduced a vocabulary center so the class could practice some of the words we have been learning in science. Fridaymarked the beginning of the Motion unit of study. I know the class will have a blast with this unit as we move through it. Get it? Move through the motion unit… Sorry folks, it has been a long week. I look forward to hearing from you regarding Tuesday and until next month…all told.

No comments:

Post a Comment